Monday, December 10, 2012

Use Storytelling To Boost Perception


I don't feel I read enough with Ms Monkey lately. It's recommended we read to our child at least every night. But it doesn't always happen for us. We'll read together maybe once a week. I'm deciding to change this. Obviously, reading with her frequently is very important. I've always known the basics as to why it's important but only recently have I really begun to understand the bigger picture more in-depth. At her age, I'm pretty sure it's not just the fact that it's good quality family time and that it helps her learn to read words better and understand language. I think, psychologically, it goes a lot deeper than this. So what is it that REALLY makes it so important beyond these basic factors?

The Nature Of Storytelling

About a year ago, I began studying essential ideas behind the roots of mythology and various other types of storytelling. I was lead to Joseph Campbell, the author of A Hero With A Thousand Faces. Joseph Campbell successfully links just about everything we know to storytelling - specifically a monomyth present in virtually every story ever told. The monomyth is this consistent pattern we can see between every story, that shows a universal link between you, me, and every other individual in terms of our perception of ourselves and our lives. Learning this, I began to see just how big of an influence storytelling has on people, young and old.

It's fascinating how attractive, adaptable, and favored the story format is to the human mind and what this means in terms of learning almost anything. Think about the difference in the level of interest the average person has about sitting in math class, and the level of interest in being in a theater watching a good movie. Do you think the math class would have been just a little more interesting, understandable and even memorable to the average person if the lessons were put in some kind of story format similar to that movie?

You Are A Story

We love a good book, show, or movie so much because we are able to mentally and emotionally "hook into it". We feel linked to that main character. We imagine if it was us in that world and scenario, what we might do. We feel emotions toward the people in the story, people who don't exist or who we have simply never met. It's because we share something very personal in our own reality with that character: the fact that all of our own lives, as we understand it best, IS a unique story. Your story is what you use to give yourself the identity you have in the world. It's the process you've taken, in realizing who you are and what your role is in this universe. It is the vehicle through which you have come to understand action and reaction, decision and consequence. It is the stage in which you were born, the fashion in which you were raised, the path you took to arrive into adulthood, and the way you became (or may become) a parent. It is virtually the very process of your known existence.

When I apply this realization to the idea of reading and storytelling to my daughter, I rethink the true significance of it. I realize she is writing her own story every day, a story influenced by other stories around her. Beyond the normal academics and quality family time, the books we read together and the movies we watch together are explaining aspects of life to her... It's explaining it in a way that I would not be able to all on my own in any direct fashion. The stories are helping her to understand who she is, in relation to the world. It is painting a picture which contributes to her perception of herself, her current reality, and potential future life as she'll come to know it. The way I see it, she is a puzzle that she is putting together, and the stories she hears are the clues to the current and next pieces to that puzzle. What is interesting is that this puzzle is dynamic, meaning (at least in my philosophy), the picture on the puzzle is not predefined. It is decided and shaped by her, based on the perceptions she chooses to accept or reject from the stories she hears, and even more importantly, the stories she experiences.

Utilize Storytelling

So when you are having trouble explaining something to the little one(s), try putting the answer into the form of a story, whether true or fiction. Don't be afraid to use silly improvisation if you have to. Kids love fun and silliness. That's what makes it worth their attention. Put into a good story, not only can it be memorable, but much more deeply understood since their little minds are likely to invest themselves more attentively into it. Your point to them will be revealed that much more clearly and in relation to everything else.



Tonight, I'm going to sit down with Ms Monkey, let her choose her favorite book, and indulge. She's gotten so good at reading that she usually insists on reading ME the book! I really like this. I think it is also a clue that maybe I should get her some new books a bit higher in reading level. In any case, learning what I have so far, I feel a lot more aware and thoughtful about choosing books (and movies) that can have a more positive effect toward her. I want to expose her to stories that help her to learn more about herself, and influence her independence and ability to define who she is as she grows. I want her to experience stories that can help her figure out what directions she can take to be the happiest, most self-fulfilled person she can be. I think story time just got a whole lot more interesting. ;)

What are your thoughts about reading to your kids? What does that time mean to you?

Also, if you had to recommend one book for its value of what it can teach a kid, what would it be?

3 comments:

  1. Firstly, congrats on your blog, and your daughter! Being a parent with two of us is hard enough sometimes! I commend any single parent who is striving to just be!

    I love story time. We are on-demand with our girl, and it is a good thing. So 1-3 stories a night. I admit that sometimes it is me saying, "okay something short tonight." But once I start reading it is just too fun. I choose her books, so they are all my favorites! She will say to me sometimes…"Tell me one of your famous animals stories." HA! Famous. I have to make up, on the spot, about some animal, insect, fish, whatever. She loves them though, so there it is. We also do a lot of audiobooks or podcasts. She loves to listen too.

    So, enjoy your story time. It is well earned!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, that is a good idea - audiobooks. That's something I think I'll try alongside paperbooks. Thanks for that! :)

      Also, I LOVE improvisation! It's probably my favorite way to tell any story!

      You sound like a wonderful mother. Thank's for the feedback! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you and you are welcome! And best wishes for your adventure here and at home! :^)

      Delete